Want some practical reasons to grow a beard? Here are some beard facts that may help you decide.
- It is estimated that men who shave spend 3,350 hours of they lifetime in the bathroom. That is over 139 days that you could be doing something more productive.
- Facial hair can block up to 95% of the sun's UV rays according to a study at the University of Southern Queensland (Australia). This of course, is helpful in preventing skin cancer and protecting your skin from signs of aging on your face and neck
- In the long run, facial hair helps your skin keep younger looking. The hairs protect your face from the drying effects of wind and allows moisture to be preserved under the protection of the beard. If you use a moisturizer, it will work better under a beard than on exposed skin where it can be rubbed off more easily.
- Facial hair can help you avoid acne and skin rashes. How? By not shaving. Shaving helps spread bacteria around the face, infecting the follicles. Then there is always razor rash.
- Have pollen or dust allergies? Beards and mustaches may help filter out allergens.
- If you are big into staring contests, grow a beard. Don't know who figures this stuff out, but if you have a beard you are 63% more likely to win a staring contest.
If any of these reasons are not enough for you to grow a beard, then think about this. You will get compliments the first time you grow a beard. Studies show that those first compliments will be from your male buddies, though. You will have to wait a little longer for the female compliments.